Welcome to Goofy Foot Foods! I hope you enjoy my idea of plant-based cooking as inspiration for living an active and healthy lifestyle.
What makes me an expert in healing foods? First and foremost, I am a holistic wife and mother – like many women – whose healing hands tend to their families each and every day. Married for thirty years, and blessed with four children, I’ve learned a thing or two about mindful eating, body image issues, wacky hormones, emotional outbursts, lack of sleep, recovery from illnesses – and stress – as it relates to men, women, children, and teen athletes. I understand, first-hand, the enormous pressure we have as parents to push our children toward success. Unfortunately, this often leaves many parents, and their children, over-scheduled and overworked without the nutrition needed to maintain the intensity of their routines. I thoroughly enjoy helping men, women and teenagers discover a new way of thinking about food as it relates to maintaining energy.
A few things I’ve learned over the years:
How to increase your energy…
Living an on-the-go lifestyle may be a necessity, however, all too often we compromise our health in order to get where we’re going! By reducing sugar and focusing on high-quality, plant-based foods, we’re able to increase the nutritional density in our diet – good for both our families and the planet!
The disease process and healing…
I have personally lived (22 years) with Sogren’s Syndrome, a progressive autoimmune disease affecting many areas of the body. Traveling down the autoimmune highway has helped me grow in my belief that food, combined with intention, holds the greatest power to heal. I am self-motivated and bring my personal passion for healing to every dish I make.
It’s not always about you…
Not only have I had physical challenges over the past 25 years, but my husband has also had his own severe challenges to overcome. In 1995, Bill suffered a spontaneous perforation of his esophagus. This left him with an unknown future in terms of food and nutrition. When he finally made it home from the hospital, weak and unable to swallow solid food, I quickly learned the power of the Vitamix and how to make every item placed in it count (nutritionally speaking). This went on for 12 years until he finally could no longer swallow anything. In 2007 Bill’s esophagus was completely removed via an esophagectomy. After a period of healing, he was left with digestive issues and weakened lungs but is well and thriving today. Caring for my husband has been a blessing and taught me that prayer, love, and laughter can get you through just about anything.
What is Eating Clean?
- Making a conscious choice to avoid processed foods whenever possible – “lose the junk food.”
- Eating whole foods – food that comes from a real farm…not a lab!
- Eating your veggies! Increasing your intake of plant-based foods is beneficial for both you and the planet.
- Choosing local and eating with the seasons.
- Making a conscious choice to buy organic. Pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides are toxic! There is no disputing the potential link to serious health problems. Give your body the chance to thrive without excess baggage and toxic residue.
- Eliminating refined and processed sugar – OH MY! Yep…sugar is addictive and seems to be the hardest to overcome. Whenever possible, choose nature’s sweetness in the form of fruit and sweet veggies. It takes a while to get used to, but you will…I promise!
- Adding superfoods to your diet. These unusual foods are “super” charged with a high-density nutritional punch. They’re grown all around the world, giving you the opportunity to increase your nutrition while learning more about other cultures and food.
- Completely avoiding Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’s) – I take this one seriously folks! GMO’s contaminate – their seeds travel. Help support organic farming – choose non-GMO products. Read your labels!
My purpose is to provide healthy choices, giving you the energy needed to chase your passions.
Much love my friends,