Consuming a variety of plant foods increases energy and assists in the challenge of mindful eating. By experimenting with new combinations of foods and flavors, our active minds tend to slow down and refocus on the present. This active presence wakes up sleepy taste buds as we investigate each new bite.
How many of us are stuck in a food rut?
We tend to purchase the same foods over-and-over again with little thought as to how that meal will affect us. Although this way of getting through the week is effortless, it often encourages weight gain, (or loss) and decreases our bodies ability to feel satisfied. We’re stretching our wings this week and concentrating on mindful eating with our Heirloom Orca Bean Bowls.
Orca Beans are beautiful black and white beans, high in both iron and fiber! They’re not only tasty but turn a lovely shade of purple when cooked.
Bob’s Red Mill Heirloom Orca Beans are grown in Moses Lake, Washington, exclusively for Bob’s Red Mill.
- 2-3 cups cooked quinoa or rice
- 1 1/2 cups heirloom orca beans (prepared according to package directions)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare beans according to package directions.
- Note: I typically sort, rinse and soak beans overnight with 1" piece of kombu. In the morning, I discard the kombu, rinse and drain the beans. Add to heavy-bottom pot with tight-fitting lid. Cover with 2" water and simmer 45-60 minutes, or until beans are tender. I add sea salt at the end of cooking.
- Prepare quinoa or rice according to package directions.
- After beans are done cooking, drain and set aside.
- Prepare butternut squash. Toss with a little extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Using a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and diced onion. Sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapeño, roasted squash, sea salt and pepper. Give a good stir and continue cooking 2-3 minutes.
- Add drained beans and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Place bean mixture on top of cooked rice or quinoa and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges and ripe avocado.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.