Are you in need of a quick idea for lunch or dinner this week? No need to look any further! Our Black Quinoa Fiesta Bowl is a lightened-up, healthy meal for the Mexican food lover in all of us. Although this dish stays true to my vegan roots, you won’t miss out on taste. Beginning with Alter Eco’s Black Quinoa, this dish packs about 12 grams of protein per serving.
Alter Eco continues to be a leader in sustainable practices. Not only do they provide delicious, certified fair-trade products for us to enjoy but also source their products from small-scale, farmer-owned cooperatives. This drastically changes the lives of famers and their communities. That’s a win-win in my book folks!
What is black quinoa?
“13,000 feet up on the arid, desolate Salar De Uyuni salt flat of Bolivia, traditional Quechua and Aymara farmers tend to fields of highly coveted “quinoa real,” or royal quinoa, an ancient variety grown only in this very spot. This pearl-shaped, nearly perfect nutrition source was so revered by the Incas that they called it “chisaya mama” or “mother grain.” -Alter Eco
No Mexican inspired meal should be served without a delicious side of salsa but many of us just don’t have the time to make it…right?
Eureka, I’ve found the answer… Wildbrine is an amazing company that has taken salsa making to a whole new level. I’m talking Wild-Fermented SALSA people! This stuff not only provides essential probiotics for increased gut health but tastes incredible. They offer four flavors in their line of fermented salsas: Salsa Cortido, Salsa Rojo, Salsa Verde and traditional Salsa Escabeche. You truly can’t go wrong…Love! Love! Love!
- 1 cup Alter Eco "Organic Royal Black Quinoa"
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (optional: use water instead)
- 1 can Eden Foods black beans (BPA-free can), rinsed and drained
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 fresh mango, diced (skin removed)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 large jalapeño, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (use your own judgement on this one...I love the taste of cilantro and typically add quite a bit).
- Juice of 1 large lime (about 3-4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed or very finely minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Note: I substituted vegetable broth for the water as directed on the package.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Using a large bowl, combine bell pepper, onion, mango, jalapeño, cherry tomatoes and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients: lime juice, coconut aminos, pressed garlic, coconut nectar and spices. Pour over prepped veggies and toss.
- Combine cooled black quinoa, rinsed and drained black beans and vegetable mixture. Lightly toss. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Serve cold. ENJOY!
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.