When you’re looking for a unique combination of flavors, try pairing seasonal fruit and herbs for an interesting addition to your favorite summer recipes. Today I’m sharing our Cherry Sage Mekong Bowl made with Mekong rice, seasonal cherries and fresh sage from my garden. Served as a main or side, the simplicity of this combination does not take a back seat to the unique flavors delivered in this pretty dinner bowl.
A powerhouse of nutrition, cherries contain an abundance of vitamin C, carotenoids, anthocyanins, potassium and fiber. They also contain the antioxidant melatonin, known to be helpful in regulating sleep patterns.
Other Fruit and Herb Pairings:
peaches and rosemary
basil and figs
honeydew and thyme
mango and cilantro
raspberries and lemon verbena
Cherry Sage Mekong Bowl:
The addition of slivered almonds increases the protein in our Cherry Sage Mekong Bowl, but feel free to add hemp seeds if serving as a main dish.
- 3 cups cooked Mekong rice (prepared according to package directions)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 medium size onion)
- 1 cup pitted and chopped cherries
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Using a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and diced onion. Sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add slivered almonds, minced sage and a pinch of Himalayan sea salt. Continue to sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Stir in chopped cherries, cardamom and pepper.
- Add cooked rice and gently toss.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve warm.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.