“Good morning sunshine!” That’s what we say to our kids as they stumble into the kitchen on a lazy summer day. If you’re a parent, and even if you’re not, making breakfast for the ones you love is a great start to any day. My Gluten Free Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins have become a staple in our house and typically don’t last long with our crew. We’ve topped our muffins with a dollop of Nuttzo and a fresh banana button.
Summer mornings bring about a whole new vibe, almost as if time is patiently standing still, waiting for us to explore. I’ve always loved the quiet cool of the early mornings during the summertime, while the kids sleep in and readjust their personal rhythms to the season at hand. Teenagers and young adults need so much more sleep than is allowed from the demands of the world we live in today. Phones, computers and demanding schedules often interrupt this precious time of growth. I hope you will stand with me and strongly suggest turning off the phones and computers at night. Make sure you allow yourself, and especially your kids (of any age), the opportunity to reboot, recharge and daydream.
Side note: Both of my boys grew 4-5 inches during the summer between their Sophomore and Junior years of high school. Take note parents….kids need their sleep!
These sweet little muffins start with my own gluten-free mix of flours:
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
Styling and photos by Faith Moon Kelly
- Gluten-free Mix: (3/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup teff flour, 1/2 cup oat flour, 1/4 cup sweet rice flour, 2 Tablespoons Tapioca flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground golden flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup Mini Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- 3 medium or 4 small bananas, mashed
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a medium-size mixing bowl, combine flour mix - whisking until well combined.
- Add remaining dry ingredients, including chocolate chips and whisk until combined.
- Using a small mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Add wet to dry and stir until combined.
- Spoon into paper lined muffin tin.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch.
- Remove and allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.