And the Oscar goes to…”Oscar Worthy Nutty Kale Popcorn” – at least in the snack category anyway! We’re gearing up for the BIG night with some pretty fantastic popcorn. We’ve started with non-GMO, organic corn from Eden Foods and then added a mix of sprouted nuts & seeds, kale and spices that have been dehydrated into a slightly spicy topping. This makes for a protein-boosted popcorn mix that tastes incredible!
Our daughter Megan received her degree in Film Production from Dodge College at Chapman University almost a year ago, making movie watching and the Oscars BIG business around here. If you’re anything like me and start filling out your ballot with a frantic online search for movie trailers, fret no further. Instead check out Oscar.go.com to view trailers and fill out your own ballot.
Sit back and enjoy the show!
- 2 cups soaked nuts and seeds - any combination works well. Note: I used 1 cup almonds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds and 1/2 cup pepitas - Soaked overnight and then sprouted.
- 1/2 bunch Dino Kale - thick stem removed
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Ohsawa - Gluten-Free Tamari
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed (or finely minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons Cuban Island Spice Mix from Savory Spice Shop
- 1/2 cup organic popcorn
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Soak nuts and seeds overnight, rinse well in the morning and drain. Feel free to sprout if you like.
- Remove stems from kale.
- Using a food processor, add nuts, kale, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutritional yeast, tamari and spices. Pulse until desired consistency. I made mine into a fine crumble but might try larger pieces next time.
- Dehydrate at 118 degrees F for about 6 hours or until dry. Timing depends on dehydrator.
- Another option is to lightly toast in a 325 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes or until mixture dries out.
- Follow directions on package. I used 2 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil in a 4 quart pot with a tight fitting lid. To that, I added 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/2 cup popcorn. Shake as the corn begins to pop...the old-school way!
- Combine popped corn and nutty kale spice mix. Serve and ENJOY!
- vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.