Cruciferous vegetables include vegetables in the Brassicaceae family like arugula, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, kale, and radishes. What are the benefits of eating cruciferous vegetables? According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, cruciferous vegetables have been shown to be protective against some types of cancer. These powerhouse class of veggies are full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and protective phytochemicals – including sulforaphane, especially helpful in fighting cancer. There is no question about the benefits of cruciferous vegetables, the question is how to get them into your diet. Today I’m sharing one of my favorite health promoting creations – our Crunchy Cruciferous Detox Salad.
With these simple ingredients you can create a crunchy and nutritious salad or side-dish for any meal.
Interesting facts about your salad:Although there are many benefits of eating cabbage, the most notable are the numerous studies done on this cruciferous vegetable and its benefits in cancer prevention. Cabbage contains organic sulfur compounds called glucosinolates, especially helpful in the prevention of certain types of cancer. Goldenberries are high in vitamin C and protein, making them a perfect topping for any salad. Fennel has long been used as a remedy for many digestive disorders including indigestion, flatulence, and bloating. It’s crunch and slightly sweet nature is the perfect addition to any salad.
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1-2 carrots, shredded
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, julienned
- 1/4 cup goldenberries
- 1/2 granny smith apple, peeled (Option: 1/4 cup apple juice instead of apple)
- 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 3 tablespoons Flora Health - 7 Sources oil
- Prep all salad ingredients and place in a large bowl.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender of food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour dressing over salad, toss lightly and serve.
- vegan, gluten-free