With summer in full swing and the heat index high, it’s important to focus on foods that not only cool the body but taste great. The Goofy Foot Kitchen has been a buzz this week with the continual sounds of my Vitamix and ice cream maker humming away with a plethora of sweet designs to cool off both the body and soul. We absolutely love utilizing the sweet fruits of summer as the star in our icy pop and ice cream pop creations.
My husband Bill brought home a HUGE container of organic blueberries the other day! Of course, these plump berries were nothing short of inspiring for our sweet and cooling Coconut Blueberry Ice Cream Pops. There is something so nostalgic about lapping up cream on a stick while sticky drips run down your hand…summer perfection!
I love to play with the sweetness of seasonal fruits, reducing the need for any added sugar or sweeteners in my icy pops and ice cream. Although I typically stick to fruit only in my icy pops, vegan ice cream does need a sweetness boost before heading to the freezer. Feel free to play around with the base recipe and adjust according to your own taste buds.
Benefits of Blueberries:
- Low on the glycemic index
- High in fiber
- Contain high amounts of phenols, especially gallic acid
- Rich in anthocyanins
- Beneficial for anti-aging, skin, brain, digestion and even weight control
Simple Ingredients make for the best Ice Cream Pops:
- Organic, Full-Fat Coconut Milk: Edward and Sons Native Forest, Organic Coconut Milk
- Organic Blueberries: Rainier Fruit Co.
- Young Thai Coconut Meat: I purchased a whole, young Thai coconut from my local market – Lazy Acres in Encinitas. I cracked it open myself, reserving the coconut water for future icy pops. Feel free to have your own produce person crack them open for you before leaving the store.
- Other Ingredients: Organic lemon juice, real maple syrup from Coombs Family Farms, Himalayan salt and vanilla from Simply Organic.
- Note: My family enjoys a chocolate drizzle on many of my ice cream pop recipes. For an easy solution, I typically use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips and melt them over a double-boiler. Simply drizzle over the top and return to the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Meat of 1 young Thai coconut, thoroughly cleaned from all woody debris
- 1 can full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 Himalayan salt
- 2 1/2 cups organic blueberries
- 1-2 Tablespoons coconut nectar (totally optional for an added depth of sweetness)
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, melted (Optional as a drizzle over ice cream pops)
- Using a high-speed blender, add young Thai coconut meat and coconut milk. Blend until creamy. If too thick, add 1/4 cup coconut water to the mix.
- Add blueberries, lemon juice maple syrup, vanilla, and Himalayan salt. Blend until creamy and all blueberries are incorporated. Taste and adjust sweetness if desired.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Optional: Remove ice cream pops and drizzle melted chocolate chips over the top.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.