Happy summer my friends! I hope June is treating everyone well. As I organize my calendar for the next few weeks of food and fun, it dawns on me that my sweet older kids will be headed into town on the same day I get back from a week-long volleyball tournament with Faith. What’s a mom to do?
By keeping the meal planning simple and semi-homemade, I should be able to feed my extended crew with minimal effort upon my return. Fresh salads are a great way to incorporate a little “homemade” into any meal. Today I’m sharing one of my favorite simple, summer salads that can be thrown together in five minutes. Yup, five minutes! My versatile Summer Zaatar Salad utilizes the best of the season: organic cucumbers, organic nectarines and fresh basil from the garden. Dressed with a simple Lemon Zaatar Dressing, this salad is perfect for any warm day.
Utilize the best summer has to offer!
I have found some of the most delicious summer fruit at my local market simply by keeping an open mind and allowing myself the freedom to mix-it-up. No need to feel stuck with a base recipe. Instead, choose what works for your budget and taste buds. Have fun with it.
Switch out the nectarines in my Summer Zaatar Salad with one from below…
I’m looking forward to sharing a few of my favorite summer recipes and our newly created cookbook in July! Cheers to SUMMER!
- 2 large organic English cucumbers or 4-5 organic Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 2-3 large organic nectarines, sliced
- 1 handful basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Zaatar seasoning (or feel free to use fresh thyme, oregano and lemon zest)
- 2 Tablespoons raw, shelled hemp seeds
- 2-3 Tablespoons lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut nectar or pure maple syrup.
- 1 Pinch Himalayan salt
- Combine sliced cucumber, nectarines and fresh chopped basil.
- Using a warm iron skillet, gently toast sesame seeds until they begin to pop. Remove.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, toasted sesame seeds, raw hemp seeds, seasoning, coconut nectar and Himalayan salt.
- Drizzle over salad and lightly toss.
- Optional: Feel free to add 1/2 cup cooked and cooled quinoa.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.