Good old-fashioned tomato soup! What could be better? I love the simplicity and satisfaction of a warm bowl of soup, especially when traveling. The only problem is many restaurants include dairy products or flour in their creations. Ugh!
A recent trip to Las Vegas for Faith’s volleyball tournament was no different than many of our travel adventures. Food is always an issue! Most restaurants listed soup on their menu but finding a warm bowl that was both vegan and gluten-free was impossible. Born out of that frustration came my Vegan Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup!
A new “go-to” soup I hope you will love as much as we do.
This soup has it all. It’s hearty, vegan, gluten-free and delicious!
I’m putting you on notice Colorado, we’re coming for you next week! Looking for some great vegan and gluten-free eats!
I found a 4 lb box of organic tomatoes at Costco. Great for making soup!
I also found organic, raw cashews. Great price and perfect for adding the vegan creaminess I was going for in this recipe.
- 3-4 lbs. organic tomatoes, quartered (1 Costco box is 4 lbs)
- 6 cloves organic garlic
- 3 Tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large organic carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow organic onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced (from the garden)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced (from the garden)
- 1 can organic, fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup organic raw cashews, soaked at least 2 hours
- 1 quart organic vegetable broth
- 1 heaping Tablespoon organic chickpea miso (gluten-free)
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon real maple syrup (optional, however, I like the addition of a little sweet to offset the acidity in this soup).
- Himalayan salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Quarter tomatoes and peel 6 cloves garlic. Toss tomatoes and whole cloves of garlic with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, a nice pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place tomatoes and garlic in a single layer.
- Roast 35-40 minutes.
- Using a large soup pot, add chopped onion and carrot with a pinch of sea salt and cracked pepper. Sauté 5-8 minutes. Add herbs and give a good stir. Continue cooking another 2 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes and garlic with their juices to the pot. Also, add 3 cups vegetable broth, 1 can organic-fire-roasted tomatoes and 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (sweetener is optional).
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Using a high-speed blender, add soaked and drained cashews, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast and 1 heaping Tablespoon chickpea miso.
- Blend until creamy.
- Add creamy cashew mixture to the soup pot and stir.
- I like to allow my soup to cool down slightly and then blend the entire pot, a few ladles at a time in my blender. Feel free to skip and use an immersion blender instead. Keeping your soup as chunky or creamy as desired.
- Serve warm with toppings: Gluten-free garlic croutons, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, pesto, fresh basil.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.