Hi Everyone! Today is my 53rd birthday. YIKES! I’m setting my intentions of hope and happiness for the new year with a lovely vegan and gluten-free treat to share with all of you. My Raw Lemon Mulberry Cheesecake Bars combine all of my favorites in one creamy bar.
These wintery birthday bars start with a base of organic, dried mulberries from Sunfood Superfoods and a mix of activated nuts. Most raw cheesecake recipes online utilize dates and almonds as a base (crust), however, I find the dates to be a bit overpowering.
Monkfruit Sweetener: A ‘sweet’ surprise:
One of my new favorite sweeteners from Lakanto helps boost the sweetness in my lemon zest crust. Lakanto Munkfruit Sweetener contains zero calories, with zero impact on blood sugar, and tastes similar to sugar.
Note: My creamy lemon cheesecake center was already in the refrigerator when I discovered my fondness for Lakanto. I will definitely try an entire recipe using only the Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener next time.
Dark Chocolate: What girl makes it through her 53rd birthday without a little dark chocolate?
Swirling a few dollops of melted dark chocolate into the creamy lemon center takes these bars to the next level.
Drizzle leftover chocolate over the top before serving. My favorite dark chocolate comes from Alter Eco Foods.
A Little Advice for Aging:
As our numbers increase with one birthday running into the next, so to does the need for challenging our minds and bodies. Staying young at heart requires a desire to get up every day with a belief that we are relevant and strong, regardless of our chronological age, physical ability, gender or status. Let us breathe in the desire for adventure, share our desire for love and and honor our desire for friendship. It starts with one step and one intention.
53 Sun Salutations…Check!
I set out at the beginning of January to do fifty-three Sun Salutations in a row for my birthday. I’m happy to report, I accomplished my goal! Fifty-three Sun Salutations at sunrise. What a glorious dark, cold morning with Bill and the kids by my side. We started off with a group hug and ended as the darkness turned into light and laughter. What an amazig way to start my 53rd year.
Best Wishes My Friends,
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raw pecans, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- (Note: any combination will do. Soaking is not absolutely necessary but with my digestion, I always soak my nuts :))
- 3/4 cup dried mulberries - I used Sunfood Superfoods mulberries in this recipe.
- 1 nice pinch of Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Lakanto Munkfruit Sweetener (option: more if you like a sweeter crust)
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked at least 2 hours or overnight. Rinse and drain.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoon coconut oil (the oil is optional, however does add a smooth creaminess)
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup (feel free to play with the Lakanto Munkfruit Sweetner in place of the maple syrup. I would star with about 1/3 cup and taste for desired sweetness.)
- Juice of 2 lemons, about 1/4 cup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 drops, Organic Lemon essential oil
- 1 pinch Himalayan salt
- 1 Dark Blackout Bar from Alter Eco Foods, melted
- Using a food processor, add soaked and drained raw cashews, full-fat coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup (or Monkfruit Sweetner), lemon juice, vanilla, Himalayan salt and essential oil. Begin blending, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Using a food processor, combine soaked and drained nuts, Himalayan salt, dried mulberries, vanilla, lemon zest and Munkfruit Sweetener. Pulse until mixture breaks down. I like an even, sticky consistency.
- Line a 9" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper. Add crust mixture and press evenly into place. I typically use a flat spatula to help out. This creates an even layer.
- Add the creamy lemon cheesecake. Spread to an even thickness.
- Add dollops of melted chocolate on top and swirl with a chopstick or knife.
- Place in freezer for about 2 hours.
- Remove and cut into bars. Drizzle with leftover melted chocolate. (Note: You will need to re-melt the leftover chocolate in order to add the extra drizzle over the cold bars).
- raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.