Hello 2017! We welcome you with open arms and revel in the renewed hope for change and our desire to power through 2017 with vigor and strength. The Goofy Foot Kitchen Crew is down to one right now with Megan busy being twenty-four and Faith busy with volleyball practices, AP classes and college testing. (Those pesky SAT & ACT tests!) I’m down to a party of one in my kitchen but the girls never lack opinions when it comes to the final product and recipes. Let’s just say, my girls have a true mind of their own and the end result of their individual lifestyle and views are often reflected in my recipes. Today, I’m sharing one of Meg’s favorite snacks, Veggie Spring Rolls made with fresh, organic vegetables and served with a slightly sweet & spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce.
Veggie Spring Rolls take a little more prep time than usual but the value of providing healthy choices for my family is time well spent. I also pick-and-choose when to make these stuffed veggie bites. If the girls have time to pitch-in, then we go for it. If not, I move to my recipe hack below.
Veggie Spring Roll Hack
If you don’t have much time, simply ditch the wrapper portion and serve the noodles in a deconstructed fashion. Add cooked noodles and chopped veggies to a large bowl and toss with the Peanut Dipping Sauce. Serve on a large lettuce leaf. DONE!
My goal for 2107 is to continue offering quick-and-easy, plant-based recipes as inspiration for you, your family and friends. I’m well aware that eating a plant-based diet isn’t for everyone, however, the one thing we can all agree on is that adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet is the way to go for increased health and longevity. My own special crew consists of vegetarians, a pesco-vegetarian, meat eaters and a couple of vegan and gluten-free souls. No need to stress about labels, instead focus on adding to your plate instead of getting rid of what you already love. Try adding a big green salad or smoothie each day to your normal weekly menu. The addition of extra veggies helps to tip the scales in favor of balance.
- 1 package thin rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 package Vietnamese Spring Roll Rice Wrappers (I used Happy Pho)
- Julienned veggies and fruit of choice: Veggies used in today's rolls: red bell pepper, mango, carrots, cabbage, beets, micro-greens, mint leaves, romaine lettuce and rice noodles.
- 1/4 cup creamy organic peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) freshly grated ginger root
- Pinch of Himalayan salt or 1 heaping teaspoon gluten-free white miso)
- Add all Dipping Sauce ingredients to a small bowl and stir until smooth and creamy.
- Prepare thin rice noodles according to package directions. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Prepare all vegetables. Cut into very thin strips and lay each vegetable out in stacks on a cutting board or tray for easy use.
- Add very warm water to a shallow baking dish. I like using a 9x9 glass baking dish.
- Add two rice wrappers to the warm water. I allow the wrapper to sit in the warm water for about a minute. Remove one wrappers at a time, laying it out on a flat surface. (I used a clean cutting board).
- Add a small amount of thin rice noodles, romaine leaf, mango, mint, micro-greens and julienned veggies.
- Roll tightly, remembering to tuck in the sides. Just like a burrito.
- Continue the process until all of the wrappers have been filled or your ingredients run out. I typically run out of veggies before finishing the pack. 🙂
- Serve with prepared Peanut Dipping Sauce.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.