It’s cookie time! With the holiday season in full swing, it’s all about the cookies here in the Goofy Foot kitchen this week. Cookie baking traditions are typically passed down through families and contain the magic that binds us together this time of year. I’m not sure there is anything more festive than sitting down with a batch of warm, gooey cookies and a mug of hot tea or cocoa. I encourage you to dust of those rolling pins and put on your favorite apron, it’s time to get baking my friends! I hope you enjoy our Gluten Free Vegan Orange Rosemary Cookies made with my own gluten-free mix of grains and drizzled with an orange infused chocolate bar from Alter Eco Foods. These cookies are uniquely Christmas and loved by all. ENJOY!
My favorite cookies start with my own DIY gluten-free mix made from fresh grains. If you don’t have a grain mill at home, please feel free to substitute your favorite gluten-free mix from your local market. Some of my favorite gluten-free grains include: millet, quinoa, sorghum, brown rice, white rice, oats, and amaranth. Of course, any good gluten-free mix will need a starch and I typically use tapioca flour in my mix. If you don’t have tapioca flour (starch), feel free to use arrowroot or potato starch instead.
What makes my Gluten Free Vegan Orange Rosemary Cookies special?
The answer to any good cookie starts with high quality ingredients from people you trust.
I absolutely love Alter Eco’s Mascobado Cane Sugar for baking. This sugar is unrefined and contains a delicate sweetness perfect for any of my holiday cookies.
Fresh rosemary and orange came from my own backyard. Now, that’s local folks!
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (feel free to use your favorite)
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon fresh, finely minced rosemary (this depends on how much of the rosemary flavor you would like to come through)
- 1 Tablespoon ground golden flax seeds (just add to the dry mix - no need to make a "flax egg"
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup Alter Eco Mascobado sugar
- 1 full Tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 Alter Eco Dark Twist Bar
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour mix, baking soda, sea salt, rosemary, and flax seeds. Whisk until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients and sugar: extra-virgin olive oil, maple syrup, orange juice, orange zest and almond butter. Stir until well combined. Of course, feel free to use a hand-mixer.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated and dough comes together.
- Roll into a large dough log and slice cookies 1/4" thick.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, using a small saucepan, melt one Alter Eco Dark Twist bar with 1 Tablespoon coconut oil. I strained the larger pieces because I wanted a smooth drizzle, however, this is not necessary.
- When cookies have cooled slightly, drizzle chocolate over the cookie.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.