Here we go friends, another gluten-free breakfast or brunch cake ready for the holidays. This lovely tea cake combines the natural sweetness of blueberries with just a touch of real maple syrup and applesauce for a cake that works any time of the day. Made with a combination of organic, non-gmo cornmeal and millet flour, our Cornmeal Millet Blueberry Crumb Cake is gluten-free, diary-free and delicious.
Crumble Topping Option:
Adding a crumb topping to our Cornmeal Millet Blueberry Crumb cake is optional but definitely adds a lovely sweetness. Many people have grown accustomed to the overly sweet treats and cakes offered at most coffee and tea shops. Although our collective taste buds have been jaded over the years, I’m attempting to bring back the old-fashioned tea cake in hopes of providing a nice balance your friends and family will love. The added crumble on top, made with coconut palm sugar and nuts, typically pleases most. 🙂
I hope everyone is enjoying the foods of the season and remembering to take a break for a quick cup of tea with friends. Remember, the magic of the season is hanging out with the ones we love.
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/4 cup fine almond meal
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted Earth Balance vegan buttery stick or coconut oil
- 1 cup wild blueberries
- 2/3 cup gf oats, lightly buzzed in coffee grinder
- 2/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons melted Earth Balance buttery stick or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9" round baking pan by coating lightly with coconut spray or oil.
- Grind golden flax seed in a coffee grinder. Add 2 Tablespoons to a small bowl and combine with 5 Tablespoons water. Stir and set aside.
- Pour almond milk into a cup or small bowl and add apple cider vinegar. Give a stir and set aside.
- Using a medium size bowl, combine cornmeal, millet flour, rice flour, potato starch, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt. Whisk utnil well combined.
- Add blueberries to dry ingredients and stir to coat.
- Melt Earth Balance in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Using a medium size bowl, combine almond milk and vinegar combination, applesauce, coconut palm sugar, maple syrup and melted vegan butter. Stir until well combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and set aside.
- Lightly buzz oats in a coffee grinder or food processor. We're looking for a coarse grind.
- Combine oats, chopped pecans, coconut palm sugar, sea salt and melted vegan butter. Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of your cake.
- Place cake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before serving.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.