As we approach the holiday season with its added stress, nutritious snacks and meals become even more important. The cold weather months of November through March often bring with them the dreaded flu virus, colds, sore throats and various skin issues. As a mom of four kids, I’ve always made it my job to keep our family healthy. I put a tremendous amount of pressure on myself to stay informed and prepare foods that support our immune systems. Unfortunately, I don’t always have the time to back-up my good intentions with full-blown meals during the holidays. Instead, I’m known for quick, nutritious sides with a variety of add-ons. Today I’m sharing my Holiday Spiced Sweet Potato Wedges made with a mix of both Japanese and Jewel sweet potatoes. I often serve these with a fresh, homemade salsa or my various nutty pestos with a superfood boost.
Superfood Boosts for an added depth of nutrition and immunity support:
Medicinal Mushroom Powder: Made from a variety of immune boosting mushrooms. Purchased as both individual powders and combination formulas.
A few of my favorites include: King Trumpet, Turkey Tail, Cordyceps, Reishi, Agaricus blazei, Lion’s Manea and Maitake. A scoop of mushroom powder is one of my hidden tricks in many of the sauces and dips I serve to my family. You can find organic mushroom powder here: OmMushrooms.com
Psuedograins and Seeds: I often write about adding nutrient-dense seeds to my recipes for flavor but superfood seeds do much more than enhance the flavor profile of a dish. They also add fiber, increase protein, provide much needed minerals, help reduce inflammation and benefit our skin, j0ints and brain. My pantry is never without the following: hemp (my #1), chia, quinoa and amaranth.
Adopting one nutrient-dense dish with a side of semi-homemade is often the perfect solution for the body, mind and soul during this busy time of the year.
Served with Lemony Walnut and Hemp Pesto: Find Recipe Here
- 6 medium-size sweet potatoes (I used half Japanese sweet potatoes and half Jewel sweet potatoes)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, warmed
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Combine warmed oil, balsamic vinegar and spices. Drizzle over potato wedges and rub with hands until all wedges are covered. (feel free to substitute extra-virgin olive oil instead of coconut oil)
- Place wedges on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove when fork tender.
- Serve with Walnut Pesto.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.