We’re celebrating these lovely fall beans with our lemony Multi-Colored String Bean Side dish over rice. These incredibly colorful beans come to us from J.R. Organics Farm, a local CSA farm out of Escondido, CA.
Getting your picky eaters to consume enough vegetables is not always easy. The best tip I can share from my years of experience as a mother is to choose colorful vegetables that are easy to prep. Get the family involved in preparing your meals and remember to talk about the folks who grew your food. Local farms are relatable to most kids and adults alike.
Pulling up the farmer’s website before sharing your meal allows those at the table to understand and give thanks to the loving hands that tilled the soil, planted the seeds and harvested what you are about to eat. It’s a great exercise in gratitude.
Keep it simple!
I love versatile sides that are easily prepared in minutes. It truly does not matter your dietary preference, vegetables are a staple in any diet, food style or fad.
Did you know?
Green beans come in two categories, pole beans and bush beans. I personally enjoy pole beans with their unwavering desire to climb up my trellis. 🙂
Green beans are crunchy, low in calories and fat, high in fiber and provide some protein. Powerhouse food? I would have to give them two thumbs up in that category.
Hopefully this little post gives you motivation to check your local CSA, farms and farmers markets. Remember to ask questions, get the family involved and give thanks for the people who enjoy growing organic, non-GMO vegetables as much as you enjoy eating them.
- 1 lb. multi-colored string beans, trimmed from J.R. Organics (or your local farmers market)
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted slivered almonds
- 1 Tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 organic lemon
- Zest of 1 organic lemon
- Plus or Minus 2 Tablespoons fresh garden herbs of choice, minced.
- Note: I used fresh lemon thyme from my backyard with a little rosemary added. Feel free to mix and match, tarragon is also a nice choice for this dish.
- Himalayan sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread almonds evenly onto a baking sheet. Place in oven and toast about 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Note: Slivered almonds tend to burn quickly, keeping a watchful eye is important. When ready transfer to a small bowl or plate and set aside.
- Trim beans to desired length.
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set aside.
- Using a deep skillet or large pot, fill with about 2" of water and bring to a boil with a little salt.
- Add prepped beans and cook 3-4 minutes. I like my beans crunchy, therefore typically remove quickly.
- Drain beans and quickly add to prepared bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain beans from ice water bath and pat dry. Place beans in a large bowl.
- Using a small bowl, whisk together extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh minced herbs, a pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Drizzle over cooked beans and toss to coat.
- Transfer beans to large platter and top with toasted almonds and extra herbs if desired.
- Serve with lemon wedge and a smile.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.