Back from our early summer adventures, we’ve hit a mid-summer slump with a call for simplicity. Lazy mornings, followed by warm afternoons, requires most of my kitchen work to be done in the early morning hours. With Bill off to work and a large basket of plump, juicy blueberries calling to me, I decided a Rustic Blueberry Tart would be the perfect addition to our day.
Simple food starts with simple ingredients.
I love the way my tart is less than perfect and oozes with sweet berry juice. The kind of splendiferous ease fitting for a lazy summer day.
As you head out the door this summer, I hope you’ll keep it simple, feel the abundance in your life and enjoy every bite!
Much love my friends!
- Crust: (DIY Gluten-Free Mix)
- 1/2 cup teff flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup gf oat flour
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- (Optional: Use 2 cups of your favorite gluten-free flour instead of our DIY mix)
- 1 Tablespoon ground golden flax
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- Note: If using coconut oil, I typically melt the oil over low heat and then pour into a shallow dish. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. After solid, I cut into cubes
- 4-5 tablespoon ice cold water
- 3 cups fresh organic blueberries (or other seasonal fruit)
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds (Optional)
- 1-2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Optional: Sprinkling of Alter Eco Mascobado Sugar on top before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Making a gluten-free "pie" dough isn't always easy, but I've found this mix works fairly well.
- Using a food processor, add flours, ground golden flax, coconut sugar and sea salt. Pulse until mix comes together.
- Add cold chunks of coconut oil.
- Pulse until dough begins to crumble.
- Add cold coconut oil and water (1 Tablespoon at a time) as you continue to pulse and dough begins to form a ball.
- Place ball of dough in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Using two pieces of parchment paper, carefully roll dough out into circle about 1/4" thick.
- Place circle onto a parchment lined baking sheet dusted with a little oat flour to prevent sticking.
- Combine berries, maple syrup, cinnamon & arrowroot powder. Gently toss until well combined.
- Place berries in the center of your pie dough. Gently lift sides to fit over the mound of berries.
- Place galette in oven for about 40-45 minutes. Dough should be slightly browned when finished.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.