Many folks find cleanses to be of great value as a way to reset the body and refocus intention. I too find value in removing little habits that have crept into my daily routine by stripping away the unnecessary adhesion and replacing it with something new. One helpful tip in starting fresh is to reach outside of your food comfort zone and try something new. It can be as simple as adding kale to a smoothie or (if time permits) taking a healthy cooking class to spark your desire for change. Today I’m sharing my Ayurvedic Kale Kitchari, a cleansing meal from India created with yellow split peas, beautifully pungent spices and a heartfelt intention to change. This dish is considered a complete protein and thought to help balance the metabolism and cleanse the liver.
Because I used yellow split peas in this dish, and they tend to take about 35-45 minutes to cook, I prepared the rice and split peas separately. I also used a lovely vegetable stock instead of water to increase the depth of flavor.
What is Ayurveda?
According to the Chopra Institute: “More than a mere system of treating illness, Ayurveda is a science of life (Ayur = life,Veda = science or knowledge). It offers a body of wisdom designed to help people stay vital while realizing their full human potential. Providing guidelines on ideal daily and seasonal routines, diet, behavior and the proper use of our senses, Ayurveda reminds us that health is the balanced and dynamic integration between our environment, body, mind, and spirit.”
- 1 cup Traditional Organic Brown Basmati Rice, prepared according to package directions with the exception of using vegetable broth instead of water.
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cups kale, middle stems removed and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger – about 3” piece
- 1 heaping teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1.5 teaspoons Himalayan sea sa
- Prepare rice according to package directions with the exception of using vegetable broth instead of water.
- Prepare yellow split peas. Sort and rinse, making sure to remove any debris.
- Using a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, add split peas and 4 cups vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, stirring occasionally until peas are soft, about 35-45 minutes.
- Using a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add coconut oil and cumin seeds.
- Stir around the pan for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, carrots and ginger, give a good stir to coat. Continue cooking 4-5 minutes.
- Combine cumin powder, ground turmeric, ground mustard and sea salt.
- Add cooked rice, cooked yellow split peas, chopped kale and combined spices. Give a good stir to coat. Continue cooking, adding more vegetable broth if needed for desired consistency. Continue cooking until kale is done, about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm!
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.