Today I’m sharing a special treat made for my leap year baby, Megan. She turned 24 yesterday, with only six real birthdays (falling on the 29th of February) since her birth in 1992. She is as unique as the day she was born, standing at 6 feet tall, bursting with opinions and owning her incredibly distinctive artistic flare. She has always pushed my thinking beyond my personal comfort zone and I am forever grateful for that gift. Megan Rose was the driving force behind my desire to share recipes with all of you on a weekly basis. After watching her struggle with severe digestive issues and pain, I felt it was important to share the recipes I create with her in mind, giving options for others who struggle with similar issues. My Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream is dairy-free, gluten-free and made for this special day in celebration of Megan Rose “Sunshine” Kelly.
Benefits of Strawberries:
Strawberries are bursting with flavor and a great source of fiber. They’re high in antioxidants and help reduce inflammation in the body.
Did you know strawberries are one of the only fruit with the seeds on the outside? These tiny seeds connect to the center of the fruit via plant fibers. These fibers pass through the digestive tract mostly undigested, picking up some unwanted toxins along the way. Truly amazing!
Leap Year 1992 – Megan Rose “Sunshine” came into our lives. Full of wisdom from another place and time, ready to teach, inspire and love. So proud to be her mother!
Mike Adams, The Health Ranger. (2014, July 17). Strawberries proven to block mercury in fish: Health Ranger shares research with the public. Retrieved
- Meat of 1 young Thai coconut, all woody debris removed
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk or 1 cup cashew milk
- 3/4-1 cup organic sugar (this depends on the sweetness of your strawberries)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups organic strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- Note: Sometimes a basket of strawberries lacks the punch we're looking for. Simply add more strawberries or a big spoonful of your favorite strawberry jam. I typically stick with the fresh strawberries, but either will work.
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Add all ingredients to your high-speed blender. Blend until creamy.
- Taste for sweetness.
- Add mixture to an ice cream maker, run until nice and creamy. Timing will depend on your specific machine.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.