Happy Chinese New Year everyone! In honor of the Year of the Monkey we’ve created a spicy tofu dish with sweet peppers and beautiful black Forbidden Rice from Lotus Foods. We often find it difficult to eat out at many Chinese restaurants due to the added MSG and gluten. (Most soy sauce has gluten). Although, I love it, my body does not. Today, we’ve created a Chinese New Year Spicy Tofu with our own Southwest twist. I hope you like it as much as we do!
The Year of the Monkey:
“This is the year of the monkey, the ninth animal in the cycle. The monkey features prominently in many ancient Chinese legends. People born in the Year of the Monkey are said to be intelligent, clever, and gregarious, but also mischievous. They are skilled and smart, but shortcomings, like a quick temper and a touch of arrogance, tend to hold them back.” -Huffington Post
Ingredient Transparency: Chinese New Year Spicy Tofu
- Tofu: Wildwood Tofu
- Rice: Lotus Foods, Forbidden Rice
- Red Chile Sauce: Sadie’s of New Mexico
- Coconut Aminos: Coconut Secret Note: We’ve replaced the soy sauce in many Chinese dishes with coconut aminos for a slightly sweeter taste that is completely gluten-free.
- 1 cup Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice, prepared according to package directions.
- 1 container Wildwood Organic Extra Firm Tofu, drained and cubed
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups mini colorful peppers
- 3 Tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup Red Chili Sauce (note: I enjoy Sadie's of New Mexico Red Sauce due to the limited ingredients)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Prepare Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice according to package directions, with an added generous pinch of Himalayan sea salt.
- Drain tofu, cut into bite-size cubes, and allow to drain on a clean kitchen towel for 30 minutes.
- Using a small bowl, whisk together, red chili sauce, coconut aminos, maple syrup and arrowroot powder.
- Using a medium size bowl, add cubed tofu and red chili sauce. Gently toss to completely coat the tofu. Note: Any sauce at the bottom of the bowl will be used.
- Using a large skillet or wok, over medium-high heat, add sesame oil, onion and whole mini peppers. Toss or stir gently for 3-4 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and tofu. Continue cooking until tofu is heated through. Pour any remaining sauce from the bottom of the bowl over the tofu and vegetables mixture.
- Serve over warm Forbidden Rice and garnish with fresh scallions.
- vegan, gluten-free, diary-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.