It’s been a month since my last run in with quinoa in the GFF kitchen and I’m happy to report we’re back in business again. Our Indian Spiced Coconut Mango Quinoa combines the lovely spices of India with Alter Eco’s Organic Red Heirloom Quinoa, a special combination with the addition of creamy coconut milk, sweet organic mango and antioxidant rich goji berries. Packed for lunch or snack time, this power salad will help get you through the day.
BENEFITS OF QUINOA:
- A gluten-free seed considered to be one of the top sources of plant protein available.
- Contains 14 percent protein and all essential amino acids.
- Packed with fiber.
- Rich in quercetin – a flavonoid known to hep support respiratory health due to the antihistamine effects.
BENEFITS OF GOJI BERRIES:
“According to traditional use, goji berries are useful for enhancing the health of the liver, kidneys and lungs. They are consumed to improved immune function, boost blood circulation, and improve sperm production.” -Chris Kilham, Medicine Hunter
Ingredient Transparency / Indian Spiced Coconut Mango Quinoa:
Heirloom Red Quinoa: Alter Eco Foods – “Revered by ancient Incas as “chisaya mama” (chee-sa-waya ma-ma) or “mother grain,” this heirloom nutrition source is fluffier, nuttier and without the bitterness so common to lesser grades.”\
Goji Berries: Sunfood Superfoods
- 1 cup Alter Eco Red Quinoa, soaked 30 minutes and rinsed until water runs clean.
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 1 can organic garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained.
- 2 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 ripe organic mango, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tablespoons organic goji berries
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Soak quinoa 30 minutes. Drain and rinse until water runs clear.
- Using a medium size pot, add drained quinoa, coconut milk, water and a pinch of sea salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Using a small skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds. Give a good stir and allow the seeds to sizzle for about 1 minute.
- Add drained chickpeas, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed, 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and freshly grated ginger.
- Give a good stir making sure the chickpeas are coated with ginger and spices.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Combine coconut aminos, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and the juice of 1/2 lime.
- Combine cooked quinoa, spiced garbanzo beans (after they have cooled), mango, goji berries chopped cilantro and dressing. Lightly toss to combine.
- Serve cold.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.