It’s always fun having my older kids in town, especially when they head over to the farmers market with me in search of something new. While tripping around Little Italy Mercato Farmers’ Market last weekend, our sweet Sarah (Billy’s girlfriend) came across a basket of pomelos (also known as pummelo, Chinese grapefruit and pompelmous). I had never had a pomelo and was excited to give it a try. After carving through the thick skin and very tough pith, we came to a slightly sweet, pink flesh that I found to be a perfect addition to my Winter Citrus Quinoa Salad.
This refreshing salad combines protein packed quinoa, a variety of seasonal citrus fruits, cacao nibs, fresh chocolate mint from my garden and a homemade Cacao & Citrus vinaigrette.
Benefits of Citrus:
- Studies have shown adding citrus to your daily diet program can help reduce the risk of stroke.
- Packed with fiber – helping to keep you full longer.
- Rich in vitamin C – perfect for building much needed collagen as we age.
- Rich in flavonoids – helps increase benefits of vitamin C.
Citrus used in our Winter Citrus Quinoa Salad: from left to right
Oroblanco Grapefruit: Green skin with a thick pith. Slightly sweet and juicy.
Pomelo: (Also known as Pummelo, Chinese Grapefruit and Pompelmous). Pale green with a beautiful pink flesh. So lovely and sweet after you cut away the thick skin and tough pith.
Pink Grapefruit: Easy to segment with a sweet pink flesh.
Mandarins: Similar to “Cuties” or “Tangerines” often sold with stems and leaves attached. Easy to peel with a sweetness the kids are sure to love.
- 3 cups cooked Quinoa (I used Royal Pearl Quinoa from Alter Eco Foods)
- 2 cups mixed citrus fruit: I used: 1/2 Pomelo, 1/2 Oroblanco, 1/2 Pink Grapefruit, 2-3 Mandarins Note: Peel and remove tough pith. Segment into bite-size pieces.
- 1 tablespoon fresh chocolate mint, minced.
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (about one medium orange) - feel free to simply toss orange slices straight into your blender.
- 2 Tablespoons coconut vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, finely minced
- 4-5 small sprigs of chocolate mint
- 1/4 cup 7 Sources oil (feel free to substitute extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 pinch Himalayan sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon cacao nibs
- Cracked pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. This can be done ahead and refrigerated until ready.
- Using a high-speed blender, add orange juice, coconut vinegar, minced shallot, cacao nibs, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Give it a whirl until well combined. Slowly drizzle in the 7 Sources oil while blender is running on low. Set aside.
- Peel and segment citrus fruit. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Using a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, citrus pieces, fresh chocolate mint and cacao nibs. Drizzle Citrus Vinaigrette over quinoa mixture and gently toss until combined. Feel free to add more mint or cacao nibs as desired.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.