Starting off the week with a few homemade grab-and-go items in the refrigerator is certainly a good way to reduce the temptation for packaged foods (often filled with not-so-good for you fats, sodium and sugar). I love making a big green ‘base-salad’ on Sunday, allowing everyone in the family to customize as they like during the week. Our Fall Quinoa and Kale Salad makes the perfect starter for your favorite toppers. Salad additions can be added just before packing your lunch and a fantastic way to increase plant-based protein. A few ideas include: organic chickpeas, black beans, lentils, edamame, baked tofu, hemp seeds, sprouted pumpkin or sunflower seeds and your favorite soaked nuts. Create a simple lemon dressing with chia seeds for increased fiber and omega-3’s. YUM!
Fall Quinoa and Kale Salad – Ingredient Transparency:
Baby Kale from i Love Organic Girl
Royal Pearl Quinoa from Alter Eco Foods
Chia Seeds & Hemp Seeds from Sunfood Superfoods
- 2 containers i Love Organic Girl Baby Kale, chopped
- 3 cups cooked Alter Eco Foods Royal Pearl Quinoa, completely cooled
- 2-3 cups finely diced and roasted Purple sweet potatoes
- 1/2 purple onion, finely chopped
- Sunfood Hemp Seeds
- Baked tofu
- Shelled Edamame
- Eden Foods Chickpeas
- Eden Foods Black beans
- soaked and sprouted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- slivered almonds
- Finely chopped fresh veggies: carrots, celery, jicama, peppers, cucumber, etc.
- Dried Fruit: Eden Foods Dried Cranberries, Cherries or Blueberries. (I love Eden Foods cranberries in salads...they use apple juice instead of refined sugar to sweeten).
- GF croutons - homemade are best and easy to make in advance.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into small, bite-size pieces.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Chop baby kale.
- Assemble base salad by simply tossing together cooled quinoa, sweets and baby kale.
- Additions: Add just before serving or packing for lunch.
- Juice of 3 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons Flora Oil - 7 Sources
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Ume Plum vinegar
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.