Happy Monday everyone! Today we’re sharing a second recipe specifically created for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Although October is focused on raising awareness for breast cancer prevention and treatment, all recipes this month are beneficial, not only for cancer prevention, but also for other common chronic conditions. We strongly believe in food as a first-line defense for illness prevention and healing. Our cruciferous rich Fall Apple Mango Salad combines two types of cabbage, two types of apples, Austrian pumpkin seeds, sweet mango. and our own Lemon Tahini Dressing made with a touch of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Benefits of Cabbage:
Although there are many benefits of eating cabbage, the most notable is the cancer-fighting nutrients called indoles, which may reduce the risk of prostate, bladder, colon, breast and other cancers.
Benefits of Apples:
Important: Please look for organic apples, grown without the use of pesticides, fungicides, or wax.
Apples are a good source of fiber and rich in both vitamin C and polyphenols (antioxidants that prevent cellular damage caused by free radicals).
Benefits of Austrian Pumpkin Seeds:
Purple Cabbage & Savoy Cabbage: Whole Foods Encinitas
Organic Granny Smith & Fuji Apples: Whole Foods Encinitas
Organic Austrian Pumpkin Seeds: CB’s Nuts – “The naturally hull-less Styrian pumpkin seed does not require the water-intensive processing involved in shelling traditional pumpkin seeds — what you probably know as the “pepita” — and everything except the seed of the Styrian pumpkin is returned to the soil as compost during harvest, making them a very environmentally friendly crop.”
Organic Tahini Butter: Living Tree Organic Raw Tahini – my absolute favorite tahini! A bit expensive but worth it.
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 organic Fuji apple, diced
- 1 organic Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1/2 large mango, diced
- 1/4 cup Austrian pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw tahini
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ume vinegar
- Combine cabbage, apples, mango and pumpkin seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture. Toss until well coated. Refrigerate.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.