As a recipe creator and vegan chef, I’m always looking for ways to change up my daily food routine. It’s easy to get in rut, choosing the same foods over and over again without much thought. Given my desire to mix-it-up, I paired two of my favorite foods, Volcano Rice from Lotus Foods and the stone fruit (peaches and nectarines) I had sitting on my counter. In love with the ease of quick-cooking methods during the summer, I created my version of a summer-kissed Stone Fruit Stir Fry. Prepared in about 10 minutes (after the rice had finished cooking).
With a few fresh herbs from the garden and a dash of cardamom from Spicely Organics, our stir fry was a hit! Served on crispy romaine leaves as a starter to our meal, the family decided this was one of their favs! Of course, the same stir fry could be served as an entrée by simply adding your favorite plant-based protein to the mix.
Why it’s important to play in the kitchen
- Playing in the kitchen allows little ones (and big ones) to discover what foods they love. It’s surprising how many kids and adults say they don’t like chickpeas but when asked to make hummus on their own, this simple legume becomes a creamy delight.
- Who doesn’t love a kitchen science experiment?
- Pairing seemingly unlikely combinations results in some pretty fantastic creations.
- It’s hard to wrap our brains and tummies around healthy eating unless we actually get our hands dirty.
- Longevity starts in the kitchen.
- 4 cups cooked Lotus Foods Volcano Rice (Prepare rice according to package directions).
- 2-3 peaches and/or nectarines, diced (Optional: cherries or plums)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, small dice
- 1-2 small orange or yellow carrots, finely diced
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Spicely Organics ground cardamom
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Prep veggies and fruit.
- Using a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, onions, peppers and carrots. Sauté 5 minutes or until veggies start to soften.
- Stir in mushrooms, garlic and chopped fruit. Continue to sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, basil, parsley, cardamom, sea salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and / or basil.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.