This post is actually a follow-up to our Vegan Garden Burger post from last week. Many of you have requested the recipe for our vegan pesto used as a topping on the garden burgers. Well, here you go folks, Kale Walnut Pesto made with just a few simple ingredients and packed full of brain-loving alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a unique omega-3 fatty acid shown to improve brain health. With many of our loved-ones getting older, and the concern of dementia on the rise in the U.S., adding a handful of walnuts to your diet each day may be worth a try. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), dementia affects 47.5 million people in the United States and there are 7.7 million new cases each year.
- 1 cup soaked walnuts, soaked overnight
- 2-3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup chopped red-russian kale
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 pinch Himalayan sea salt
- 1-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pat dry soaked nuts with a clean towel.
- Add nuts, basil, kale, garlic, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, and sea salt to your food processor. Pulse until mixture comes together. Drizzle in extra virgin olive oil as you continue to pulse.
- Note: I like my pesto on the chunky side, but feel free to run the processor longer for a smooth consistency.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.