Spring has sprung here in San Diego and what better way to kick off the warmer weather than with a beautiful and nutritious spring salad. Our Supercharged Mandarin Fennel Salad starts with a baby spring mix of greens from I Love Organic Girl. When looking for spring greens, seek combinations of both sweet and slightly bitter greens. Balance is key with salad creation and utilizing the best of the season is a good rule of thumb for a delicious and colorful salad your family and friends will love.
Let’s get real about salads…the dressing can make or break a simple salad. I absolutely love creating dressings and sauces with high-quality, seasonal ingredients that also utilize superfoods, or foods that are nutritionally dense and packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. The oil-free dressing for my Supercharged Mandarin Fennel Salad was created as part of my experimentation process and desire to reduce bottled oils in my diet. The base of this colorful dressing was made with soaked cashews and orange juice, and the “supercharge” comes from the addition of fresh ginger and lucuma.
Benefits of ginger:
A natural anti-inflammatory, ginger is known to benefit those suffering from musculoskeletal ailments. Ginger is also used around the world to relieve nausea and motion sickness.
Benefits of Lucuma:
Lucuma fruit, native to Peru, is slightly sweet and provides 14 essential trace minerals including potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
- 1 Family Size package I Love Organic Girl Spring Mix
- 1 large organic cucumber chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 4 scallions, both white and green parts, chopped
- 2 avocados, cut into bite-size cubes
- 3 mandarins, peeled and segmented
- Optional: 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (I love the addition of something a little more hearty in my salads)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked at lest 2 hours
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1" piece of fresh ginger
- 1/2" piece of fresh turmeric
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon lucuma
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Prep all salad ingredients.
- Lay out on a serving tray, platter or use a large serving bowl.
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and give it a whirl until your dressing is smooth and creamy.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.