I enjoy making cookies during the Christmas season to share with family and friends but don’t always love the way they make me feel. As a special treat to myself, I created these old-fashioned Vegan Spiced Molasses Cookies using my own gluten-free mix and organic blackstrap molasses. A slightly spicy and perfectly sweet holiday treat that’s easier on my digestive tract and allows me to join in on the festivities and whimsy of the season.
These pretty little cookies were made using the cookie cutters I had as a child. Yep, they’re over 40 years old and still in the original box. I’ve always appreciated and absolutely LOVED cookies!
Why Molasses in our Vegan Spiced Molasses Cookies?
Molasses, often used in holiday baking, is a byproduct of sugar manufacturing and often used in gingerbread recipes. Eating sugar, even molasses is not optimal if you suffer from any chronic illness, however, molasses does provide some nutritional value in the form of essential minerals and trace amounts of vitamins, including copper, iron and magnesium.
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour (oats buzzed in a coffee grinder or food processor)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon ground golden flax seed (grind in coffee grinder)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup organic blackstrap molasses
- 3 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 heaping teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Using a small bowl, combine all wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Add wet mix to the dry mix and stir until well combined. Note: I used clean hands to finish mixing the ingredients together.
- Roll dough into a ball and flatten slightly with your hands.
- Using a lightly floured surface (I used my gf flour mix) roll out dough to about 1/4" thick. Cut into Christmas shapes.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet, or lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Optional: Decorate with "India Tree Nature's Colors Decorating Sugar"
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Note: These cookies go beautifully with afternoon tea, especially chai tea.
- Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.