Have you been looking for a cookie recipe your family and friends will never know are vegan and gluten-free? If so, this is the one! Let’s get real, most gluten-free cookies have a funky taste and texture, nothing close to what we remember eating as kids…until now! My Gluten Free Vegan Pistachio Cookies combine a creamy homemade pistachio butter with three of my favorite cookie ingredients: Eden Foods Montmorency Tart Cherries, Enjoy Life semi-sweet Mega Chunks and Let’s Do…Organic unsweetened shredded coconut. Yep, these deliciously chewy cookies will win hearts at your Christmas Cookie Exchange this year.
Traditional Cookie Making Fun:
Get your family involved by shelling the pistachios. Have the kids (or in my case – adults) make the Pistachio Coconut butter used in this recipe.
Throw on your favorite Christmas tunes.
Make the cookie dough – hoping it doesn’t get eaten before going in the oven.
Bake your cookies.
Make spiced vegan hot chocolate or chai tea with homemade almond milk.
Dip and eat!
- 1 cup dry-roasted and unsalted pistachios, shelled
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3/4 cup oat flour (buzz your gluten-free oats in your blender, food processor or coffee grinder)
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon ground golden flax seeds (flax meal)
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 3/4 cup homemade (see above) pistachio butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Eden Foods Dried Montmorency Tart Cherries, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks, chopped (Note: I find these chocolate chunks a bit large for this recipe and typically chop the chunks in half or quarters)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 1 cup of dry-roasted, unsalted and shelled pistachios to your food processor or high-speed blender. Begin pulsing and blending until a moist ball begins to form. This should have the consistency of a chunky nut butter.
- Add 3 tablespoons coconut oil and a pinch of sea salt, continue blending until the oil and the nut butter come together.
- You should end up with about 3/4 cup of pistachio coconut butter.
- Combine dry ingredients: oat flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, ground golden flax seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, baking soda, sea salt and 1/4 cup chopped pistachios.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Combined wet ingredients: 3/4 cup homemade pistachio coconut butter, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar (I know, this isn't "wet") and vanilla.
- Stir until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, wet ingredients, chopped cherries and chopped chocolate chunks. Mix with a large spoon until well combined.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out dough and form into balls. Place each ball on a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.