Vegetable packed, vegan nori rolls are one of the most requested meals in the Kelly house. They’re versatile, easy to make and travel well. Perfect as an afternoon snack, lunch or light dinner. I like to mix-it-up in the fall with a twist on my traditional stand-by recipe. Today we’re using baked sweet potato as the main filling in our Fall Nori Rolls with a mixture of sesame butter and a splash of ume vinegar. A combination of Jade Pearl rice from Lotus Foods and quinoa make a beautiful bed for this slightly sweet filling. The addition of quinoa amps up the protein in these beautiful bites.
What are the benefits of our Fall Nori Rolls?
Nori is rich in protein, iron, calcium and a good source of iodine.
- Iodine deficiency symptoms include enlarged thyroid gland, hypothyroidism, dry skin, weight gain, intolerance to cold and fatigue. Fall Nori Rolls2014-10-28 19:40:01Write a reviewIngredients
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup Jade Pearl Rice
- 3-3/4 cup water
- pinch of sea salt
- Nori Rolls
- 4 sheets nori
- Prepared rice and quinoa
- 2 medium size baked sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons raw tahini
- 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar
- 2 carrots, finely shredded
- 1 cucumber, but into wedges
- Austrian pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed butter
- 3 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
Rice Quinoa Combo
- Whisk together all dipping sauce ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- Combine water, quinoa, rice and a pinch of sea salt in a pot with tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to completely cool.
- Remove skin from baked and cooled sweet potatoes.
- Using a small bowl, combine sweet potato, tahini and ume vinegar. Mix until well combined.
- Lay one sheet of nori out on a sushi mat.
- Place rice and quinoa mixture on the nori sheet. I like to make sure the rice mixture is pressed firmly and spread evenly out covering the nori sheet. I leave about 3/4 of an inch of space at the bottom of the nori sheet. This will section will help seal the nori roll.
- Add a nice scoop of sweet potato mixture. Spread out evenly.
- Spread shredded carrot (or any vegetables of your choice) evenly across the nori roll.
- Add 1 cucumber wedge
- With a firm hold, begin to roll the nori and tuck in as you go. I typically wet my fingers with a little water and run them across the bottom of the nori sheet (the part you have not covered with the rice mixture). This will help seal the nori roll.
- Cut nori roll into even rounds.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
- All recipes and images are protected under copyright laws and owned by Kris Kelly and Goofy Foot Foods.