Let’s get back to the basics with two of our favorite Green Drinks. Green juices and smoothies are staples around the Kelly house and truly the best way I have found to get more veggies into our diet. Kids seem to love working with mom or dad in the kitchen and especially enjoy making smoohties. I have found giving children the power to create, and trusting the process of experimentation, is best when turning kids onto healthy foods.
Give your little ones a general guideline: It’s all about choices…
- 1 “milk” base: almond milk, cashew milk, hemp milk, soy milk, coconut milk
- 1 green leafy vegetable: spinach, kale, romaine
- 1-2 types of fruit: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, apples, mango, pineapple, figs….it’s endless!
- Something creamy: 1 banana, 1 scoop almond butter, peanut butter or sunflower seed butter.
- Of course, feel free to offer any boosts you like: cacao nibs, almond butter, peanut butter, superfoods, etc.
Give them a little notebook to jot down their recipe and make sure they give it a name…every good recipe needs a fun name! It’s always a joy watching children drink a cup full of nutrition and have fun making it themselves.