I typically make a pot of beans a couple of times per week, but find I often end up with leftovers. Unfortunately, it’s difficult for the Kelly family to gauge what will be eaten each day as the big “kids” are always in and out – I never know who will be at the table for dinner. One of the best ways I have found to use up leftover beans is adding them to veggie burgers. Our Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burgers are high in plant-proteins, and gluten-free. Some of my family like them on a bun and some (those of us who are gluten-free) prefer having them served up in a lettuce wrap. Either way, they’re delicious!
Benefits of Black Beans:High in soluble fiber – helps keep you full longer Rich in folate, magnesium, iron and potassium 1/2 cup of black beans contains 8 grams of protein Black beans are naturally low in calories
2. How to shape the perfect veggie burger…use the ring from a canning jar. Works perfectly every time!
- 1 cup cooked black beans (I use my leftover beans)
- 1-1/2 cup cooked quinoa (remember to rinse your quinoa before preparing)
- 1 cup carrots, finely shredded
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 chia/flax eggs (1 tablespoon each of ground chia and ground flax - added to 1/4 cup water)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely chopped, seeds removed (optional for added heat)
- 1/4 cup oats, buzzed in the coffee grinder
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- It's helpful to use your "clean" hands, making sure all ingredients are well incorporated and the beans are mashed up a bit.
- Using the ring from a canning jar, place approximately 1/3 cup of the mixture into the lid and press down to create the perfect patty.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, flipping the patties half-way through the cooking process.
- Serve warm on a bun or lettuce cup.
- Top them off with your favorite burger toppings.
- vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free