Although your typical tabbouleh salad is made with bulgur (wheat that has been parboiled, dried, and cracked), we’ve decided to mix-it-up with a Goofy Foot twist. Our Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad substitutes quinoa (considered a complete protein) for the more traditional bulgur wheat, making this dish completely vegan and gluten-free.
Not only have we increased the protein by using quinoa, but we’ve also added a healthy dose of hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are one of nature’s nutritionally complete foods containing all nine amino acids. That’s a win-win for most vegans.
Simple Living Tip: Rinse your quinoa before cooking to remove the bitter, naturally occurring saponins. I typically place 1 cup quinoa in a bowl, cover with water and swish around with my hand for a few minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
- 4 cups rinsed and cooked quinoa
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 2-3 scallions, chopped (Optional: 1/4 red onion, finely diced)
- 1 handful fresh mint, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons coconut vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons 7 Sources oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Thoroughly rinse quinoa and prepare according to package directions. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine, cooled quinoa, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, mint, parsley, basil, and hemp seeds. Give a good stir.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate before serving.
- vegan, gluten-free