Tournament play this weekend? Try our vegan-paleo MACA volleyball grub. These little bites will help you maintain the energy needed to excel at your sport. We’ve used Solraiz Organics maca powder in our recipe, and made a double batch for the SCVA Qualifier this past weekend. Amazing fuel, low in sugar and kept us going. Made in less than 10 minutes (after nuts had been soaked overnight).
As a coach and mother of four athletes, I have tried just about everything over the years to keep my children functioning at a high level during tournament play. Packing food and drinks is not always easy, or convenient, but can make a real difference in a teen athlete’s ability to function at their highest level. My husband and I have spent countless hours on the sidelines of soccer fields, baseball fields, roller hockey rinks, golf courses, volleyball courts, basketball courts, skate parks and yes…hip-hop competitions.
We know – first hand – when a teenager begins to crash, it typically has to do with a lack of hydration and fuel. Both of those issues are easily addressed by mapping out the day. Another words…PLAN AHEAD!
- 1 cup soaked organic walnuts (soaked overnight)
- 7-8 Brazil Nuts
- 1 Tablespoon maca powder
- 1 Tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 small dates (5 large)
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Using a food processor, combine nuts, maca powder, cacao powder, coconut, dates, vanilla, and sea salt.
- Pulse until nuts begin to break down.
- Add chia seeds and continue to pulse.
- Roll into bite size balls.
- Store in refrigerator. (I refrigerated ours via an insulated lunch box)
- Enjoy! Vegan-Paleo, Gluten-Free