I’m always looking for an easy solution to the dinner dilemma. How do we get a nutritious meal on the table after walking in the door at 6:00pm from a long day of work, school, and sports? Our Quinoa and Black Bean Bowl is just the answer.
Simple Living Tip: Use Eden Foods organic black beans as a quick solution – packed in BPA-free cans.
- 2-1/2 cups cooked black beans (option: 2 cans BPA-free canned black beans...we like Eden Foods brand)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa - prepared according to package directions.
- 1 bunch broccolini - steamed until bright green and still crunchy.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Adobo blend spice. (We found ours at Savory Spice Shop in Encinitas)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash and cut sweet potatoes into bite size pieces. Toss in 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon cumin, and a 1/8 (a nice pinch) of Himalayan sea salt.
- Lay sweet potatoes out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 25-30 minutes or until fork done. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To prepare quinoa - In a medium sized pot with lid, add 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer (lid on) for 15 mins. Remove pot from heat and set aside to rest.
- Broccolini - Wash and cut broccolini into bit size pieces. Place 1-2 inches of water in the bottom of a large pot or deep bottom skillet with a steamer basket. Bring water to a bowl. When ready, place broccolini into basket, cover with a lid for 3-4 minutes. These cook quickly and it's nice if they still have a little crunch to them.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine drained black beans, cooked quinoa, steamed broccolini, roasted sweet potatoes, scallions, cilantro, lime juice and adobo seasoning. Gently toss until all ingredients are combined.
- Top with your favorite guacamole!